The past two years have been a challenge! COVID-19 has created distance between each of us and Gursangat.
Now is the time to reconnect with the Guru and each other at SYA's 23rd Summer Camp 2022!
Experience Sikhi Learning in the Special SYA Summer Camp way: From blissful kirtan and workshops with Veer Manpreet Singh and Dya Singh, to exciting interactive workshops led by other Australian Sikh youth, to uplifting history and relatable stories shared by our elders - participants will grow their Sikhi knowledge in a sangat-charged and enjoyable atmosphere.
Reconnect with Friends: In one of the few family camps anywhere in the world, you'll have company at any age level. If you're young enough not to drink cha, make and build your friendship in the jathas, age group activities and from infamous mafia card games. If cha is go-to, we'll have cha afternoon sessions as well as discourse and recreational activities.!
COVID is Front and Centre: We're working closely with the NSW Dept of Sport & Recreation to ensure our camp is COVID safe and compliant with NSW Health Guidelines. Our tickets will remain fully refundable for any changes in restrictions or COVID-related circumstances, no questions asked
The Famous SYA Summer Camp
SYA has run annual summer youth camps since 1999. Now in its 23nd year running the SYA summer youth camp is an opportunity to make new friends and have fun, while also having the ability to immerse in knowledge and understanding of Sikhism.
By the end of the camp each participant, no matter how young or old, will leave with at least one thing they didn’t have before they arrived, whether they have learnt something new, created a new friendship or discovered something about themselves!
Each year a team of facilitators share their knowledge, educate and inspire our youth through katha, workshops, multimedia presentations and open discussions. This is all done in an interactive, fun and relaxed learning environment with English as the primary medium.
Facilitators for the 2021 Summer Camp will be confirmed shortly.
ALL facilitators maintain a relaxed, non-judgemental environment where questions and discussions are encouraged. While the main medium is English, ALL facilitators speak BOTH English & Punjabi.
- A curriculum focused on learning the core basics of Sikhi, in a fun, entertaining and nurturing environment!
- Adventure activities are organised every afternoon including; sailing, canoeing, rope courses, archery, swimming, basketball & soccer.
- Fun and Interactive sessions/workshops for children under the age of 10 years
- Each participant is allocated a Jatha for the duration of the camp - taking part in daily competitions, challenges, activities, sewa and kirtan.
- Encouraged and fostered to meet, share and grow with others of their own age and learn about the Sikh religion & heritage.
- Sports/Drama/Discussions and Cultural Activities provide an opportunity for all youth to show their skills, passions and talent.
- Challenging and engaging seminars to learn about Gurbani, and gain a deeper understanding of Sikhi, History and the way in which Sikhi fits into a modern context.
- Daily discussion groups with other adults on interesting and contemporary topics.
- Kirtan & Katha sessions presented in BOTH English & Punjabi.
Meals and Accommodation:
All meals are provided for the duration of the camp of which all are vegetarian and include both Punjabi and Western cuisine options. Lodging is also provided for the duration of the camp within recently renovated fully airconditioned cabins with showers and toilets.
“It was my first camp and I really enjoyed myself. We had a lot of interesting activities like indoor soccer, drama night and discussion sessions about seva and Sikhism. It was great fun! – Mighty Khalsa Youth
“A most exciting, educational and enjoyable experience. I was overwhelmed at the varied communication styles used to instil the value of Sikhi into our youths.” – Sardar Udam Singh, Grandparent.
“When my children sat in the car after the 2009 camp, they asked ‘When are we coming back? ” - Amardeep Kaur, Parent
“The calibre and nature of facilitators were outstanding… very friendly, easy to talk to and non-judgemental.” - University Student